Thursday, January 20, 2011

Totally Random Thoughts

I haven't done this in a while, so here are a few random things I just want to opine about until I get tired and move onto something else:

1. The 5th season of "A Different World" is not as good as I remembered.  I was in college back when it originally aired, and we were all heavily invested in the Whitley-Dwayne love story, except now it seems that they were a lot more interesting apart...take season 2 when there was only the slightest hint of a love connection.  Because they were not the focus, it was a show about college life.  By season 3, even though we were routing for them to hook up, it was still a show about college life.  Fast forward to seasons 5 and 6 and it was all about their relationship.  In hindsight, DW was a much better show when the emphasis was on life at an HBCU (which is why season 1 is so forgettable).  I think that explains why so many people love that dorm step show episode.

2. Went to a funeral yesterday and I am still a little sad about the fact that this woman apparently had no friends, or was somehow forgotten.  We were there to perform the Omega Omega service, and it was obvious that the sorority was a major aspect of her life...except it isn't clear to me how none of her line sisters were able to perform this rite for her.  With all due respect, it just seems odd that she had to be eulogized by me--someone who NEVER met her whilst some soror who knew her (identified by her sorority pin) sat in tears in the audience.  Sure it is emotional, but if she was your friend, then you should be honored to stand up for her.  How did this happen?

I am happy that I was able to participate because it is a rite of passage and EVERY soror deserves this ceremony.  The fact that I did not know her is irrelevant to me, but it bothers me that there were not enough people who knew her who could or cared to make the trip to celebrate her life.  I pray to God that there would be someone from my inner circle who will still be around to perform the ceremony for me...if not, then I pray that some kind souls will take pity on me (I just need to make sure that the husband understands why it is so important).

3. American Ballet Theater performance tonight was great.  Too bad I was too distracted by life to fully enjoy it.  They really need to find more dancers of color...and I am sorry, South American dancers don't count!  Oh, and I am sad to say that I did not enjoy the Balanchine pieces.  That feels like a massive fail.

4. Speaking of distractions, I am so overwhelmed.  I am getting hit at every angle and I am this close to having a full meltdown.  Dear Lord, can you work with me a little?  I am drowning here.

5. There is a twinge in my back that appears to get worse as I get more stressed out about things.  It is bothering me now.

6. The husband texted me to complain that he could not find the remote control.  Why?

7. I am sitting here looking at a 1099 form.  In total, these people paid me less than a month of salary and had the nerve to expect me to spend at least 10 hours a week focused on their BS.  I must have STUPID printed across my forehead because I was actually pissed when they chose not to renew my contract (in other words, they fired me)...what exactly was the loss in this situation?

Now I need to really vent about this--for seven months of dealing with their crap, those a$$es paid me the equivalent of what I made teaching one class as an adjunct, which was 3 and a half months of crap.  Which brings me to the next level of pissivity--am I an f-ing idiot?  I owe the student loan people my left kidney and here I am working for chump change...and getting stressed out about it.

8. AND that brings me to the real gripe of the day, which is to complain that I am there.  I am at that point where the burden is heavier than I can bear.  I got sick relatives.  I got family drama.  I got no money.  My house is in chaos.  I have a lot of stuff to do.  I am having a mid-life crisis and I am not sure that I ever got through the quarter-life crisis I suffered a few years ago.

9. ARGH!

10. "Living Single" was a great show from start to the end of the season when Overton and Sinclair got married.  What ever happened to Yvette Bowser Lee?  She was good.

No comments: