Thursday, January 20, 2011

More Randomness

Well, I wrote Part I of this about 12 hours ago (give or take), and now I have a few more observations:

1. Do drug manufacturers think we are stupid?  So you release one drug and it gets pulled because it kills a few people, so you make a few changes and re-release the same drug under a different name...but with similar commercials?  Oh, but you add the side effects that got it pulled the first time, so it is all good the second time around.

2. Celebrities...in the interest of full disclosure, I am guilty of taking a peek at tabloid headlines every now and then, but really, should I care that Sandra Bullock's philandering ex-husband is getting remarried to the chick from LA Ink?  By saying that, am I proving my own point?

Seriously, I am just reacting to the fact that there are about 20 websites devoted to celebrity gossip.  Funny how certain folks NEVER end up being mentioned, which leads me to believe that (a) they are not that interesting or (b) they are smart enough to avoid having their business in the street. 

3. Comments on websites.  So as a blogger, I actually want people to comment on what I write, but not if that means that someone is calling me a monkey in every other post.  Why do people feel the need to say something cruel about people they don't know.  And I am not talking about legitimate criticism, just plain old playground bully meanness--she's ugly, he's gay, drop dead, etc.  Does this explain why America is falling behind, because too many people have too much time on their hands to write inane comments?

4. The health care repeal struck me as random, not because it actually happened (since we knew they had the votes to carry it out), but because after doing so, they still have no plan.  Seems to me that if you are hellbent on getting rid of something, you should either be prepared to live without it or have something ready to take its place. 

Kind of like replacing furniture--you need a new bed because the old one is no good, so you shop for a new bed.  You try out a few different models and eventually you settle on the one that makes you the most comfortable.  Then you make a swap.

Memo to the GOP: If you are serious about reform and not just wanting to beat the President and his party, offer up something that might actually work.  Otherwise, you are just smiling for the cameras.

5. My hair is a mess.  And I am not sure what to do about it except to put a scarf on my head and keep it moving.  Life is a bit like that--sometimes you have to go with a quick fix until something more permanent can be discovered.

6. I am speaking in metaphors again...

No comments: