Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Enough Already!!!

I really don't want to devote another day to this subject because there are so many more important things I can discuss here, but I just need to vent about Tom Shales and his nasty critique of the Oscars.

First of all, I read his review of Chris Rock's performance and disagreed. Then I posted a comment on the Post's message board, read a few responses to my post among others, and then I moved on. Throughout the day I heard mixed reviews, but overall, I figured that the issue was over, and I happily watched Oprah's post-Oscar show. (OK, maybe I was a little obsessed, but I was just curious for reactions to Rock's performance).

Anyway, I opened the Style section today, and in addition to some numbers about who watched and who didn't, the Post re-runs Shales' review in an extended version that not only sticks it to Rock, but it also gets on Jamie Foxx for "exploiting" race in his acceptance speech. Huh?

When is it "exploitation" to discuss something that is as evident as race? How in the world can a speech that acknowledges Sidney Pointier, Oprah Winfrey, Halle Berry, Ray Charles, his daughter and deceased grandmother, and Taylor Hackford (who by the way, is the white director and producer of Ray the movie) be exploitative? Is it because he mentioned that he wanted to thank his managers (both black) and said that he intended to live this "African American dream" with them at the helm of his career? Is it because he paid homage to Sidney Pointier, the first black actor to receive a best actor award? Is it because Oprah gave him a one-fisted salute from the audience?

Or is it because Jamie Foxx is, well BLACK?

You know what, this is the perfect segue into my rants on race in America, because it is clear to me that any mention of race, any suggestion of race, any impression that race is in the air makes certain white people uncomfortable. Tom Shales must be one of those people who feels that we are all better off if we don't even acknowledge the elephant in the room. I guess he feels it is understood, and that he would prefer to pretend that it isn't an issue.

Too bad, Tommy, it is an issue.

It doesn't have to be uncomfortable. It doesn't have to be confrontational. But it exists. As long as it takes the Oscars years to recognize the immense talents of actors of color (and this means everyone of color), then it matters. It matters that there were only a few actors of color who presented awards on stage. It matters that this year, a Latino actress was nominated for Best Actress in a small film that barely got noticed. It matters that a film like "Hotel Rwanda" is the only acknowledgment by Americans that a genocide took place ten years ago in Africa. It matters that the only Asian actors who get noticed by the Academy are in foreign language films or in small indie films (yes, I'm referring to "Sideways" even though Sandra Oh didn't get any love at all).

So, I'm sorry, race does matter. It matters when I rarely see Latinos on TV except on Spanish-language television. It matters when Selma Hayeck, Penelope Cruz, and Antonio Bandares are the Latino ambassadors for the Academy. It matters when Jennifer Lopez gets ribbed for dating Ben Affleck because she is considered "bad" for his image. It matters when Louis Gossett, Jr. (a winner of the best supporting actor prize) is barely acknowledged on the red carpet. And it matters when a first-time host is skewered for his biting wit when that is the very reason why he was hired in the first place.

Get used to it. People of color do not want to fade into a homogenous background that dictates when and how we can define ourselves. It is not your right, Tom Shales, or any other critic to determine that the only speech that is acceptable is speech or language in which you are made to feel more comfortable in your white skin.

Damn, I need to run, but that is my rant-o-the-day. Maybe I'll be in a better mood tomorrow. Ciao!

No comments: