Monday, February 28, 2005

Obligatory Congrats and other stuff

Ok, last night I watched the Oscars to the bitter end, only it wasn't bitter at all. Kudos to the producers for making this one of the shortest shows in a long time. I got to bed before midnight (I was already in the bed, but at least the show was over by then), and although it got a bit tiring at the end, all in all it was a decent show. So, here is my take on the evening, as if anyone cares:

The Host
Chris Rock was very good! He started off a little too stiff, which I think was understandable due to the pressure he faced as a first-time host, but I think he did a great job. If I were to grade him, he'd get a B+ because of the slow start and maybe a bad joke or two, but hey, he did WAY better than David Letterman and Whoopi on her last turn as host.

This morning I read a review of his performance by Tom Shales in the Washington Post, and I just have to strongly disagree. Tom, it appears that you and Sean Penn have the same poor sense of humor. I haven't seen any other reviews of Rock's performance yet, so I don't know if there is an overall consensus. If I were to vote, I would say that he should definitely come back again as host in the future because I can't imagine that there's another guy out there willing to do it (see "The Men" below).

The Dresses
Well, as far as I could tell, no one hit a sour note. Everyone looked lovely and very glamorous, so no red carping from Joan and Melissa Rivers, which made things kind of boring. It reminded me of parties here in DC, where everyone knows the rules so no one messes up. It is much more entertaining when someone looks silly, like Bjork a few years back with the swan dress, but no such luck this year.

One good thing was that color was everywhere, because the basic black look made everything seem so somber. In terms of the best dressed...well, Halle always dazzles and Selma Hayek was definitely the bomb this year. I really liked Hilary Swank's dress, so I think she was also a fave. My least favorite was Beyonce's Phantom of the Opera attire because her makeup was too spooky, but her red carpet look was fab.

The Men
None of them bothered to show up, and I was quite surprised. Sure, there were some guys, but none of the big name stars--no Tom Hanks, no Denzel, no Tom Cruise, no Russell Crowe, no Will Smith...not even Jude Law. What gives, fellas?

The only men who came were either presenters or were nominees. I think this means that the Oscars are becoming more like a girls' night out since most of the focus is on what the women wear. Soon it will just be a stag prom.

Is it me, or did Johnny Depp look like a bad Prince imitation?

The Brothers
What can I say? I was so happy for Jamie Foxx and Morgan Freeman. Morgan Freeman has been a sentimental favorite for me ever since he was Easy Reader on Electric Company, so I couldn't be happier for him. I think his win is one of those "body of work" awards that are given to certain actors eventually. In a few years, Sam Jackson might get one too.

As for Jamie Foxx, well he has come a long way from Wanda on In Living Color. I just hope that he does the right thing, and takes this for what it is worth. No more Cuba Goodings! I loved Chris Rock's line last night about how he saw "Snow Dogs" and sent Cuba a check for $80.

As for Don Cheadle? I think he'll get another shot soon because he's been consistently good in every role I've seen. No one really talks about him because he isn't a *star* but hopefully that will change. There are other very consistent character actors who don't get recognized or honored (Laura Linney is another one), but who always pull out great performances. At some point that will change, because talent always wins in the end.

The Pot Calling the Kettle Black...
So here I am, cracking up at the skit where Chris Rock was at the Magic Johnson Theater, but truth be told, I haven't seen most of the nominated films either. I am ashamed to say that I wimped out on seeing "Hotel Rwanda" and "Million Dollar Baby" by myself, but then the hub says he wants to see them with me, so that is my excuse. We saw "Ray" a few months ago, and I saw "Sideways" on my own a few weeks ago. But I can also admit that I did not see "White Chicks" either.

Well, that's all folks. Maybe I'll tackle my race topic later this week. In the meantime, Ciao!

No comments: