Monday, March 28, 2011

Tough Seasons

I have noticed lately that a lot of people I know are going through some very tough times.  A friend from college just lost her mother suddenly and as did another just lose her father.  A few folks I know are going through divorce.  We are dealing with the illnesses facing elderly family members. 

And while we are pushing through domestic issues, there are people in Japan who have just survived an earthquake and may be facing a nuclear meltdown.  There is a civil war going on in Libya and there are protests all over the Middle East for democracy.  There are places in Africa where everyday for the past twenty or more years has been a constant struggle for survival.

I am tempted to wonder why...someone asked if I thought this was the beginning of the end, since 2012 is rumored to be the end of the world.  But that seems too simple--that the world is coming apart because we are about to disappear.

I am a person of faith.  I do not believe Obama is the anti-Christ.  I do not believe in the end times.  I believe we are going through a tough season because that is the nature of life.  People die.  Marriages do not always last.  Illness happens even if we try to keep it at bay.  Natural disasters happen as do man-made disasters.  People fight when they see no reason to get along.  Poverty exists while others have too much. 

Life is unfair.

But the solution is not to wonder why or to rend our clothing or even take to the streets.  The answer is to stop, take stock in what we have, and then press forward.  This too shall pass. 

No comments: