Friday, March 11, 2011

Winners and Losers

I am reluctant to admit that I have been following the recent Charlie Sheen meltdown with the same rubber-necking-on-the-highway curiosity that has enthralled the rest of America.  And I was content not to admit it until I saw the news reports about the actress from "The Wire", Felicia "Snoop" Pearson, and her recent arrest in Baltimore.

The level of attention paid to these stories is not really my issue here, although it kind of is the issue since Charlie Sheen's rapid spiral is seen as "winning" while poor Felicia's situation is downright tragic.  She is probably headed back to jail, while Sheen, who has never been a choir boy, will probably get a reality show.  But hey, that's show biz for you.

I was not a fan of "The Wire" primarily because I do not have HBO.  And as great as I have heard that this show was, I do not have the time to sit through a DVD marathon of episodes, so in all likelihood, I will not know whether Pearson ever had any acting talent.  I do remember her from those Vh1 Black to the Future and I Love the 2000s shows, but that was not exactly the same as acting.  And I thought she was a boy...

I also do not watch "Two and Half Men", so I am missing out on Sheen's apparent weekly brilliance.  Actually, I have seen the show, but it never struck me as "must see", so I've probably only seen it in syndication.  Of course, I have seen his work before...Major League and Hot Shots were riveting!  But honestly, I have had a problem with him even being on TV since his problems with drugs, alcohol and spousal abuse have been so well documented.  Seems like someone who has that many problems should be getting therapy, not millions of dollars in encouragement.

The difference between the outcomes for these two troubled actors is all about how we exploit celebrity.  On the one hand, a lot of people have made millions on Charlie Sheen, and as long as he kept his private life in the tabloids but off the set, no one had any reason to say anything, let alone fire him.  So in a twisted sense, he might actually be right about how the distribution company and the network took full advantage and owe him millions for breach of contract. 

Then on the other hand there is Pearson, a troubled young woman whose real life was as compelling as the character she portrayed.  It might not be fair to suggest that the writers and producers who made money on her have abandoned her, because that is not the case.  But they employed her precisely because she could bring realism to their story; however, Baltimore is no longer the subject of gritty inner-city melodramas (now it is New Orleans), and apparently she turned back to the streets.

Of course, Sheen is a bona fide star who comes from a Hollywood family and who stars in the highest-rated sitcom on network TV.  Almost no one who gets to his level in Hollywood goes to jail, just look at Lindsey Lohan.  Pearson was already a convicted felon when she was cast in the critically acclaimed, but low-rated drama on premium cable.  Why should anyone feel sorry for her? 

Well, if she had been arrested in California and not Maryland, there is a strong likelihood that she would have gotten probation.  Had she been more attractive, she could have gone on Dr. Phil and after a mild tongue-lashing, he would have sent her to rehab with Dr. Drew and she could have appeared on the next season of Sober House or Celebrity Rehab.  Had she been more charismatic and less androgynous, she could have parlayed that into an appearance on Celebrity Apprentice or other stupid reality show that could have given her a few more months of infamy until our attention got pulled in another direction.  But she is not some good-looking rich guy from Malibu...she is poor black kid from Baltimore.  She had already lost before the game even began.

No comments: