Friday, November 11, 2005

Vacations are for the Lucky

A lot of people are off from work today. I am not. I am working, although now I am taking a break to blog a bit before I dash off on another project. No rest for the weary.

Last night I worked until 11pm. I got to campus late and then spent an hour printing and grading assignments so that my students won't think that I am still three weeks behind--just a week and a half!

This blog offers me a bit of a vacation. I get to spout off on topics that have nothing to do with black history/civil rights, child custody, SAT prep or my alumnae association.

For example, I've been thinking about the pretty leaves that were just on the trees a week ago. They've started to fall, and it all seems so sad. Winter is around the corner. This year went by too fast. My parents got married 33 years ago today. My birthday is in less than a month. I just spoke to my best friend for the first time in weeks. I spoke to my other best friend the other day for the first time in months. I have another best friend whom I have not spoken to in a year. Some best friend I am...

See what just happened there? Back to the leaves! My hub is outside right now raking, on his day off, while I sit in front of the computer still in my pjs. It is way after noon and I need to get cleaned up before I go out. But that is one of the perks in working from home. No one ever knows that you aren't dressed. No one knows that you periodically take TV breaks because you need reasons to get away from the computer. No one knows that you sometimes work well beyond midnight because you spent half of the day trying to fix your printer. These things happen sometimes.

In these last crisp days of fall, I've been meaning to ride my bike, but I keep finding reasons to stay holed up in the house in front of the computer. I have ambitions of riding all the way into downtown. They may have to wait until Spring when the time change allows for more daylight. The time just changed last weekend, so now it gets dark at 5:30. It also gets cooler at night, so I've pulled out my sweaters and have prepared to bulk up for the winter.

OK, enough daydreaming. Time to get back to the real world. Thank you for taking this little trip with me. Bu-bye!

No comments: