Thursday, September 30, 2010

Crazy Is as Crazy Does

White America Has Lost Its Mind - Village Voice

Man, I wish I had written this article, but I'm sure that because I am black, it never would have been published and would have been cited as evidence of my inate racism (angry black women are now even scarier than men these days).  And I would have been a lot more diplomatic because I don't think that "White America" is insane; I think the people who are invested in the idea that there still is a "White America" under attack are the insane folks. 

So here is my take...the people who are stirring up all of this anger have been using race as their spoon.  The stuff in the bowl might be based on legitimate gripes about the way the country is being run, but if you use race as an implement to incite people's fears, then it should not be surprising that the folks who are whining about wanting their country back all happen to look a certain way.  And as such, get painted with a broad crazy brush...

Yes, there are brown folks who are joining them at these Tea Party/Restore Honor Rallies and it all looks very Kumba Ya on Faux Noise.  And yes, 95% of black voters pulled the lever for the black guy in 2008...but none of this proves anything, does it?  If the real reason why people are upset is because they hate the President's policies, then fine.  Just say that and dispense with the white Joker-face posters, witch/voodoo doctors, Hitler references, requests for birth certificates, professions of Christian faith, monkey-watermelon-fried chicken jokes, and all other race-tainted stupidity that only seems to send the message that you are really mad that there is a black family in the White House.

See, I still want to believe that Americans, on the whole, are good people who occasionally disagree.  I can believe what I want and you can believe what you want and if they match up, fine.  If our opinions diverge, then that is cool too.  But I refuse to believe that all of our opinions are always informed by skin color.

No comments: