Wednesday, October 18, 2006

No Effing Way!

Ok, Michael Knight's collection may not have been perfect, but there is no way that Jeffrey should have won on Project Runway. Did the judges feel bad because his workmanship was questioned?

He was always too over the top. And maybe I feel that way because I am a woman, and I'd like for the people who design clothes to take into account that real women tend to wear those clothes. We are not experiments.

I have to admit, I knew going into the finale tonight that Michael did not win, but that did not really bother me too much. I had accepted the fact that he probably over-thought his line (in much the same way that I have over-thought my book into non-existence). But as they said, he is still finding himself, so it is okay that he will get a chance to grow into greatness.

And, I really liked Laura, but I definitely saw her as a one-note tune for most of the season. Even as I watched her collection go down the runway, I knew without any prompting that only she could view lace as fashion and not simply as a table accessory. I guess when I grow up, I could buy one of her dresses.

Uli threatened to be a one-noter as well, but I consistenly liked her designs. I guess that limits my range when it comes to clothes, but because I fancy myself as a sophisticated beach bum anyway, I totally saw myself in her clothes. Either that, or I really need another vacation.

But Jeffrey...well there is no denying that he is talented and innovative, and I get that those are pre-requisites for a career in fashion. But I think those elements are precisely the reason why most women get their clothes off the rack. We just don't live on the runway. We need clothes that function and I'm sorry, but pleather leggings do nothing for me (and I bet the average woman feels the same way). I also hated his first design with the feathers and the ragged hemlines. Insane.

Oh well, I knew this was coming. If things were fair, this contest really would have included Allison in place of Laura. Additionally, they would have given Vincent the axe the first weekend when he sent that fruit basket with a light fixture pull down the runway as a fashion accessory. That was more bizarre than a sci-fi alien costume. And I never liked the fact that he got turned on by his own wacko aesthetic, but immediately backed down from his self-congratulatory stance each time the judges told him that his stuff was looney.

I would have loved to have seen more from Milan. He and Allison got the shaft too early in the process, even when it was clear that both of them were far more talented than their worst designs suggested. Even their mistakes were more interesting than some of the successes of the finalists (I thought the Minnie Mouse paper dress was strange, but not that terrible. Kaine's macaroni project was way worse).

Can't wait for season four. Auf Weidersen!

No comments: