Wednesday, October 11, 2006

And the topic of my next regularly scheduled outburst is...

this damn war!!!

I HATE THIS WAR!!!

I teach a lot of military personnel, and it burns me up that some of the nation's best and brightest are headed off to a country to fight a war that we have no business waging. I hate the fact that I have to accept the possibility that I might be teaching future casualties of this mess.

AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!

Tonight I had a wonderful encounter with the sweetest guy--the type of young man that I would set my daughter up with (if I had a daughter). We talked about his desire to attend school, but then he dropped the D-bomb (deployment in January). I had another favored student detonate that same d-bomb on me just a few weeks ago, and he is probably on a plane headed to Iraq right now (if he isn't there already).

Damn this war. Damn it!!!

I don't know why we are sending these kids to Iraq. I understood when some of them had to go to Afghanistan, but I have never been given a satisfactory explanation for this Iraqi quagmire (it can't even be called a war anymore, because we supposedly won it back in 2003). All I know is, I can't stand the thought of my former students--someone's son or daughter--on a battlefield fighting over this load of Bushit.

Damn. I can't even articulate my anger and disgust. I just pray to God that this is not all in vain. One day, it could be one of my nieces or nephews. Or if the draft gets reinstated, it could be one of my brothers. It could be me (I'm not yet 35, and I don't assume for a moment that women would be exempt).

God help us.

No comments: