Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Streaming Consciousness

I know what I need to do, yet I can't get myself together to just do it.

I want to write my book. I've started on a few chapters, but I can't seem to keep my focus. The husband says that I need to take a writing class. He thinks it will keep me centered.

I think it will drive me bonkers. But I admit that having writing responsibilities might actually be a blessing in disguise. I might actually succeed without realizing it.

My problem is that I am an unrepentant procrastinator. I've been writing this book for years. And now that it is November and I got the NaNoWriMo email reminder, there is the temptation to just spout on for the next few weeks until I finish something.

Except I don't want to waste the effort on a crappy book. I want to write a good book that will get me started on a career as a writer.

Ok, in reading that sentence back, I almost believed that statement.

I already have a career as a writer. I write. I publish. I'm just an obscure, undiscovered talent.

I'm also tired because I've been up with the husband while he waits for election results. Somewhere along the line, he and I switched places. He is now the political junkie and I could not be bothered this time around. (Actually that is not true...I really did care, but I chose not to do anything special this year).

I'm more focused on my teaching. It keeps me grounded.

I really should go to bed now since I am supposed to be switching mattresses before the new mattress arrives. I am also supposed to be moving the bed frames around. All of this and cleaning up the house (which clearly is not going to happen by 2pm tomorrow afternoon). I'll be lucky if I wake up by 10am.

Nighty-night.

No comments: