Sunday, April 10, 2005

In My Skin

I'm getting used to being me. It has taken 31 years, but I'm finally starting to get it. It has been an uneasy process, but I guess it takes time to get to know yourself.

As I took a walk through my neighborhood this morning, I reflected on some of the changes I've made in my life these past few years. After I lost my job in 2002, I felt like a fish out of water, and since that time it has been a challenge in trying to reclaim some semblance of normalcy.

I haven't held a full-time job since that time, so money has been an issue. My part-time legal practice really doesn't bring in anything substantial, so I have been living off of my husband. This has created a lot of anxiety and tension in our relationship. I spend almost all of my time alone, with only brief interactions with the outside world. I have a few friends, but I really don't feel close to any of them.

It all sounds like a self-imposed exile from reality, like a retreat into my own little world.

On the other hand, since I've had nothing but time on my hands, I have done a lot of self-evaluation. Or maybe it could be better described as self-loathing. Or wallowing in self-pity. Or navel-gazing. In any event, here is what I've found out about myself:
  1. I like to sleep late.
  2. I don't like to make the bed.
  3. I don't care to make breakfast for myself.
  4. I don't mind doing the laundry.
  5. I have to be in the mood to do dishes.
  6. I am not much of a house-keeper.
  7. I have to be in the mood to cook.
  8. I like to read the newspaper,but I don't like to watch the news.
  9. I don't like to open my mail unless it is something pleasant or unexpected.
  10. I can watch almost anything on TV.
  11. I like to linger in the aisles at the local Home Depot.
  12. Ditto for Target, IKEA, Loehman's, Filene's Basement and Marshall's.
  13. I hate going to the mall.
  14. I like riding the METRO, but I don't like the tourists on the METRO.
  15. I don't enjoy driving as much as I used to.
  16. I want to see the world.
  17. I think I'll make a decent teacher.
  18. I might make be good mother one day.
  19. I strive to be a better lawyer.
  20. I really don't talk to my brothers as often as I should.
  21. I wish I had a sister.
  22. I wish I could really talk to my mother about things.
  23. I wish that my grandmothers had lived longer, and I miss my grandfather and uncle.
  24. I am getting used to being taller than the average woman.
  25. I like my body and my birthmark, too.
  26. I prefer walking or dance to other forms of exercise.
  27. I have good intentions, but I don't follow through like I should.
  28. I am too hard on myself.
  29. I am not perfect, and neither is the man I married.
  30. I am grateful that we found each other.
  31. I love my parents, but I would hate to move back in with them.
  32. I am disorganized.
  33. I think my father is the most decent human being I know.
  34. I am afraid to die.
  35. I am striving to be a better Christian.
  36. I also believe in karma, reincarnation and in infinite possibilities.
  37. I like to challenge conventional wisdom.
  38. I think most people are idiots.
  39. I can't stand George W. Bush.
  40. Ditto for the Religious Self-Righteous, extremists, and others who lack self-control.
  41. I believe choice is a fundamental right.
  42. I forgive but I don't forget.
  43. I have strong opinions on a lot of topics.
  44. I wish people would really listen to what I have to say.
  45. I've received some lucky breaks in life.
  46. I have a short attention span.
  47. I cherish imagination and originality.
  48. I am a people-pleaser.
  49. I know my limitations.
  50. I am a work in progress.

No comments: