Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Through the Storms of Life

I am beyond stunned...it was just announced yesterday that Elizabeth Edwards had weeks to live.  Turns out it was mere hours...

Life is so uncertain.  It is so random.  It is cruel; yet also wonderful!

I did not know Mrs. Edwards and I was never a fan of her husband (thought he had about as much substance as a marshmallow puff).  Still I admired her courage.  Who else could have the decency to accept the fact that she was dying and have the fortitude to maintain her composure, all while watching your life implode around you?  Instead of beating the living hell out of the mistress and her philandering husband, she wrote a book, became a health care advocate, joined a think tank and kept it moving. 

As I go through my own storms, I often lament my situation and ask "why me".  It is human to wonder why bad things happen when you perceive yourself to be a decent person.  Then I read stories like Mrs. Edwards' and I wonder if I could face the world with the same strength that she did.  How many days of her life did she sit and wonder "why me":  When her son was killed?  When she aged and gained weight while the husband remained boyish and handsome?  When she underwent fertility to have two more children?  When the Democrats lost the 2004 election?  When she was first diagnosed with breast cancer?  When the husband dropped out of the 2008 election?  When she learned that her cancer had returned and was incurable?  When she found out about the mistress?  When she learned there was also a love child?  When her husband lied about the child's paternity?  When the mistress was photographed in her underwear and refered to herself as the husband's soulmate?  When she lost her hair?  While she vomitted through chemo treatments?  When she posted that farewell Facebook message?

When the Good Lord decided to end her earthly suffering, I bet she asked why again...hopefully He told her that she had borne everything else with such grace that it was time for her to get some rest.

My heart-felt sympathy goes out to her entire family, friends and especially her estranged husband.  He must be suffering the worst of this because he will forever bear the shame of his actions.  His wife may have forgiven him, but no one else will let him forget his caddish behavior.  I also feel a little bad for the mistress...she will always live in Elizabeth's shadow and nothing she will ever do will help her escape it.

What I hope will come of Elizabeth's transition?  That people look internally to push a little harder to endure life's challenges.  Too many of us give up when things get rough or become immobilized by fear.  Fear and adversity are what make us strong.  So Elizabeth Edwards should not be memorialized as someone who lost her battles--the Lord simply decided to stop the fight.  RIP.

No comments: