Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Reassessing Spike Lee: Part I

For the last few weeks, Encore Indie has been airing old Spike Lee movies.  It has been great to revisit some of the most iconic moments of Lee's classic films such as this one from Jungle Fever (1991):


And this one, also from Jungle Fever:


And who could forget this scene from Mo' Better Blues (1990):


Or this one:


You probably remember what happens in the very next scene (also classic and brilliant)...Another favorite film from Lee's 90's era output was Crooklyn (1994), which produced this nostalgic gem:


And I am ashamed to admit this, but I FINALLY saw all of Clockers (1995), a movie that I'll need to watch a few more times before I call any specific scene iconic. 

By the way, these are not posted in any particular order, except maybe in the order of which scenes I think are most memorable (but not in order of which films I think are best).  But I wanted to post these because they capture something unique about Spike Lee's creative genuis that has not been paralleled and because these scenes highlight why his very public beef with Tyler Perry is so timely.  Check back for my analysis in Part II.

No comments: