Tuesday, July 20, 2010

The Sweetest Things

The other day I caught a scene from the Terrell Owens reality show where he hosted a princess party for his two daughters.

Awwwww...

Ewwww!

It was the cutest thing to see T.O. dressed up in the Mickey Mouse Wizard costume from Fantasia. And the girls were so cute in their princess garb. It was the awwww moment...

But, these girls just met each other for the first time, and they are about the same age (5-6), with two different mothers. That was the ewww part!

I am mad that these sisters had never met until the filming of this episode. I am mad at T.O. for getting two women pregnant at essentially the same time and having ghetto twins. And I am just mad that this is essentially the modern family nowadays.

I get that I came along in a different era. I get that athletes tend to have many children with many different women. I get that my old Baptist church/Catholic school morality is out-dated in the 21st Century. But dang...

I want T.O. to be the loving dad he portrayed on screen because those girls need him to be that and more. Despite the circumstances of their meeting and the situation overall, I want these girls to grow up to be loving sisters. And I want the mothers of these precious children to see them as children and not as golden tickets.

Lately, I've been seeing a lot of quotes about fathers and daughters and as I reflect on my relationship with my own father, I hope that these little girls will get a taste of how wonderful it has been to have a loving and supportive man consistently in my life. Support is not just in the money he spent on me, but it was in his very presence: my Daddy stayed up with me the night before a major assignment was due and helped me finish it; he drove me back and forth 600+ miles to my college; and he took my husband home from the hospital when I had to go to work.

I love my father and I want more girls to feel that same love for the first man in their lives too. I don't know T.O. beyond what I read in the sports pages, but I hope he is a better father than he is a teammate...

No comments: