Monday, February 14, 2005

Love is at the Store...

Which means that today is Valentine's Day!

So what are you doing for your sweetie? Roses? Candy? Jewelry? Lingerie? Romantic Dinner? Don't know yet? Well, you've got a few hours, but I'll warn you in advance...all of the good stuff has already been bought and what's left is gonna cost you dearly.

There was an article in the Washington Post this weekend about how men are feeling increased pressure to make this holiday special for their significant others. Men are filling the malls and specialty stores in search of the perfect gift--the only other time of the year when men shop! Therefore, this humble feast day for St. Valentine (which the Catholic Church later dropped from its official calendar) is now another casualty clever Madison Avenue marketing. Personally, I think it should be called "Christmas in February" because it gives all those guys who gave their wives/girlfriends something aweful or thoughtless in December a second chance to make an even bigger mistake. Ain't America great?

I really don't care for Valentine's Day. I had a string of years before I met my husband when I ended up disappointed (got nothing or got dumped), so it is just another day on the calendar. But because it is so unavoidable, I am cooking something special for the hub. I did the same thing last year, but to be honest, I don't even remember what we ate. I only recall that it took me forever to make the chocolate mouse for desset, which he later complimented as "good pudding".

In Honor of Two Shining Black Kings
In other news, there has been an outpouring of love for two late great giants in the entertainment industry. The Grammy folks really loved Ray Charles last night with 8 awards for his posthumous album of duets, "Genius Loves Company". And I think that love is going to continue with the Oscar folks at the end of the month when they give Jamie Foxx the best actor prize for "Ray". Another icon of the theater, Ossie Davis, was remembered by thousands of New Yorkers at his funeral over the weekend which culminated a week of tributes from fellow actors, Howard University (his alma mater), and civil rights activists. Even the Democratic National Committee issued a press release.

A Moment in Black History
Black History Month is in full swing. In addition to Valentine's Day, today is notable as the birthday of abolitionist and civil rights advocate, Frederick Douglass. Because he was born a slave and didn't know when he was born, he picked February 14.

To clarify an oft mis-stated reason for February as Black Mistory Month, Dr. Carter G. Woodson originally identified the second week of this month to commemorate Negro History Week. He selected this week because of Abraham Lincoln's birthday on the 12th and Douglass' birthday on the 14th. Later on, the commemoration extended to include the entire month. So no, we didn't get the shortest month on purpose!

And Finally
I don't yet have cable so I missed Lackawanna Blues this weekend on HBO. However, I saw it performed on stage in a brilliant one-man show by its author, Ruben Santiago-Hudson (and bluesman Bill Sims), two years ago with my mother and we were absolutely mesmerized.

Too bad it wasn't released as a motion picture, but I won't go there...

Ciao!

No comments: