Saturday, February 26, 2005

I'm Back!

Yes, after a week away from the computer I am back, but I'm sick. I had a cold before leaving for Florida, which mysteriously (thankfully) disappeared for the entire week I was there. Then yesterday morning, it started its way back. By the time I reached BWI, I was really feeling it, and this morning, I am stopped up and congested. It has to be the drastic weather change. It is 80 degrees in Florida, but there is snow on the ground here in DC...

I only got a few minutes last week to blog a complaint about timeshare presentations and the guy who was hogging the spare computers with his kids in the business center at the resort. It is hard to create with so many 'eyes' watching me as I type (folks were pacing the hallway and breathing down my neck for *my* computer, but no one said a thing to poppy and his kids).

The resort was very nice and our accommodations were swell. I really can't complain about any of that, but then again, I rarely complain about hotels, and this was simply a nicer hotel. I can complain that they didn't have recycling facilities, which is surprising in a vacation locale. And I can complain about the computers--there should have been more of them located in each vacation building so that more people could use them. I found Weston to be a sleepy little town that literally shut down at 8pm during the week (whoever heard of a pizza place that stops serving at 9pm). And of course, I really hate the timeshare people! I cannot say that enough, but it will suffice for me to say that I will NEVER buy a timeshare. Since my parents bought one, I will just bunk in theirs.

With that out of the way, I had so many things I wanted to write about, but with no computer, I had to resort to pen and paper. That wasn't so bad, but then you need time to write in the old fashioned way as well, and this vacation was not about relaxing and taking time. We were constantly on the go, although we found plenty of time to watch cable TV (which is a luxury for us). Today should be my rest day from my vacation, but I have to go to rehearsal in a few hours.

So here are a few thoughts about Miami/Southern Florida:
  1. There are a lot of fake boobs.
  2. There are a lot of tanned folks, which leads me to think that either Florida has high rates of skin cancer or maybe there are just a lot of fake tans.
  3. The people in Coconut Grove do not want Home Depot. Based on the three hours I spent there, I think Home Depot should build elsewhere, like maybe in Opa Locka. I spent an hour or so there, and I suspect the Opa Lockans could use a Home Depot (really).
  4. You have to pay a toll to get into certain parts of Miami, but not so in Ft. Lauderdale. This is logical, because who would want to pay to get anywhere in Ft. Lauderdale?
  5. At times, I found myself humming the theme song to "Miami Vice" and I fully expected to see Philip Michael Thomas or Don Johnson cruising through Weston or at the Bayside Mall.
  6. The Everglades experience was great until it got dark. Then it got scary and it reminded me of Jurassic Park. A better sign pointing the way out would be very helpful, thank you.
  7. South Beach rocks! Jose, the bartender at Mojitos, was the best.
  8. However, the waiter at the Big Pink was terrrible. It's a good thing that we went to Mojitos first because then I might have been really angry (and you wouldn't like me when I'm angry).
  9. Key Largo rocks! Big ups to the *band* at Snook's. We got a kick out of the drunk baby boomers and their hyper grandchildren.
  10. Did I mention that we actually went to Florida for a wedding? Congrats to the happy couple and many years of love and happiness!

Well, that's all for my trip. I thought about giving a day-by-day, but that is boring. Suffice it to say, we had a blast! Tomorrow's topic will be race-o-rama and cable TV.

Ciao!

No comments: