Thursday, August 11, 2005

Random Thoughts for August

I'm forgetting a lot of stuff lately. My aunt's birthday was on Monday, and I haven't called her. I bought her a card several weeks ago, but I misplaced it until Saturday night and still haven't mailed it. I have sympathy cards that also need to be sent. My sister-in-law lost her grandmother, but I didn't get a card and I don't remember signing one. I went to a funeral a few weeks ago and never sent a card (although I signed the book). Another aunt lost her father, but all I did was show up for the funeral and she sent me a thank-you note anyway. I still haven't baked the banana bread that I promised.

My best friend's birthday was yesterday. I have a card for her too, but ask me if I mailed it...

*****
Can anyone explain Omarosa? She is everywhere. I almost wish Donald Trump had just hired her so she could be filed away in an office somewhere. Surely she must have burned through those 15 minutes by now. But I can't hate her, because how can you hate a sister who's found a way to work some of those black women stereotypes to her advantage? She's arrogant, kind of bitchy, pretty enough, and she can get down in the hood like the rest of us. She could be my bourgie blackwoman superhero...

Come to think of it, Omarosa is the only other black woman on TV with first name recognition besides Oprah. Is that a coinky-dink, given that both of their names begn with O?

****
So I'm watching As Time Goes By this afternoon and it occurred to me that I've seen most of the series now. I missed a few of the early episodes, but I saw them on the BBC a few weeks ago. Now that PBS has gotten near the end of the series, I'm starting to feel a little sad because in a few days my show might get replaced with some other Brit-com that I may not like. They already replaced All Creatures Great and Small on Saturday afternoons...

****
I like the BBC, but there are no people of color on their TV shows, or at least not the ones that get shown over here. I know there are brown people in Europe. They colonized or enslaved half of us, and once upon a time, the sun never set on the British empire, so what gives? After the train bombing in London, they were quick to trot out all of the black school kids to prove how diverse their society had become.

They should be proud of their Black Brits. There is SEAL, Soul to Soul, Caron Wheeler, Incognito, that chef, Ainsely Herriot, and the DJ on Ellen. Oh I almost forgot, Scary Spice is black too (most of the time).

****
It is officially the middle of August, and that means I need a life, a job outside of the house, and some new shoes. My life is pretty boring these days, with crossword puzzles, blogging and Brit-coms. I actually have a job outside of the house, but I need to get paychecks every two weeks like normal people. Fall is right around the corner, and I want some new clothes. I have to look good as I sit in front of the computer.

****
I've joined a webring, or at least I submitted my blog for inclusion in a webring. It is for black women with blogs, but I have to wait to learn if I've been accepted. This is like applying for college. I should qualify, but I wonder if after reading my blog, they will think that I am a self-loathing oreo. I make fun of people a lot, and I find black people especially comical. I don't listen to Tom Joyner, I don't drive a nice car, I don't do church anymore, and I like British TV. How will that play to Urban America?

Stay tuned. Ciao!

No comments: