Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The New Adventure

So I plan to start a new blog in January called "Busy Black Woman".  It will be the one that I promote and the one that I hope will mark the transition to a new phase in my life.

First, I need to say that my intention is not to abandon the Cafe.  It was here that I got used to the idea of writing on a regular (or semi-regular) basis.  It was here that I realized that I have a voice and that there are people out there who are interested in hearing it.  It was here where I often said too much...but learned that unfiltered honesty can be both a fault and a virtue.  It was because of this endeavor that I realized why I want to stake out new territory.

Beginning in January, there actually will not be any significant changes to this blog...but a few topics that I would normally discuss here will move over to the new space.  I will continue with this blog as my personal diary of sorts, but I suspect that more of my time and effort will go towards the new blog.  It will come with a few more bells and whistles and I will actually make the effort to build a following there.  Of course, if people stumble upon the Cafe and like what they see, that would be nice.

I was telling a friend about my new venture the other day and during the course of our conversation, we spoke about destiny.  She mentioned how she felt that she was destined to do something more substantial than what she was currently doing, and it occurred to me that most of us feel the same way.  No one is truly where they want to be, but part of the beauty of the journey is everything we learn along the way.  I shared with her what I thought was one of my many false starts in wanting to become a wedding and special events planner.  A decade ago, I read every website, bridal magazine, various books, and even attended a networking seminar with every intention of starting a business as a wedding consultant.  Things did not quite work out as I had intended and the only wedding I have ever planned was my own.  But from that experience, I learned how to conceptualize major events, which has proven to be an invaluable skill for me in other aspects of my life.

Writing this blog has been very much like my adventures in wedding planning.  The exercise of writing has benefited me in more ways than I care to admit.  No, I will not be a journalist and maybe not even a great American novelist.  But I will be able to apply what I have learned here to the next blog.  And even if that fails to achieve my lofty expectations, there may be something else I learn in the process.

Ciao :)

No comments: